Monday 8 June 2015

May Reading Wrap Up

In April, I discovered a huge pile of romance books sitting on my shelves that I had yet to read, which is why I named the month of May as my Month of Romance!
Not all of the books I read this month were actually hard-core romance, but they did all have an element of it somewhere. All in all, I managed to read 10 books in May.
These were...
In total, I read 3160 pages in May, which is quite a lot less that what I usually get through, but still means that I've averaged out at reading roughly 102 pages per day, which is still slightly above my aim.

I have already reviewed a few of these books! If you would like to read my reviews, please click on the links!
Just One Day Duology Review
Anna and the French Kiss Trilogy Review 

I was also lucky enough to meet one of my favourite authors, Sarah J. Maas in the month of May!!! If you want to read about that, click here!

Here are some other reviews for the books I read in May...

A Street Cat Named Bob is not really the kind of book I tend to read. Other than Marley & Me, by John Grogan, I haven't really read non-fiction books (unless they're companions to films!) and the ones I do read don't often make much of an impression. This book was an exception to that generalisation.
A Street Cat follows the life of James Bowen, a busker on the streets of London, who was managing a drug problem and struggling to survive with the harsh conditions until a scruffy ginger cat strolled into his life and refused to shift. This is the story of how the cat, whom he quickly named 'Bob', changed his life completely.

This was such a lovely story. It was really heart-warming and gave a great insight into somebody else's life. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read and really did change my views about certain topics. The only problem I had with it was the writing. From what I understand, James didn't completely write this book- it was ghost-written, which I don't have too much of a problem with in non-fiction books. However, the writing still wasn't incredibly captivating and I felt like it didn't completely do the story justice.
Nevertheless, it still was a really lovely story and I awarded it 4 stars. I would recommend A Street Cat Named Bob to most people, but particularly those who like an inspiring story... and cats!!



A Court of Thorns and Roses is the first book in a new series by the amazing Sarah J. Maas! I had recently read and loved the Throne of Glass series, so when I discovered that a new series would be released, I was so excited and read it almost as soon as it was released!
In this take on Beauty and the Beast, Feyre is a huntress who is only thinking of how well her family will be fed when she kills a wolf in the woods. But Feyre soon realises that what she killed wasn't really a wolf- he was a faerie, and she had murdered him. Suddenly, Feyre finds herself dragged to a magical kingdom for her punishment, unable to leave or see her family ever again. However, it's not all doom and gloom. Feyre's captor isn't all he seems, and soon she discovers feelings for him as the lands become a dangerous place for her. If Feyre doesn't fight to break an ancient curse, she risks losing him forever.

This book was spectacular! I loved every single part of it- The plot was really captivating and I could never really tell what was going to happen next. I loved Feyre as a protagonist. She kind of reminded me of Katniss Everdeen (which is a GREAT thing!) and was just so fierce and strong as a character, yet still sensitive in her own way. Tamlin was a fantastic character and I absolutely adored reading about him- he was so hot!!!
A Court of Thorns and Roses actually turned out to be more of a New Adult book as opposed to being Young Adult, and even though I haven't read all that many New Adult books, I loved it just as much as my precious YA genre! The whole thing was just great and I can't wait until the next book comes out so that I can continue this trilogy.
I would definitely recommend this book to fans of Throne of Glass, but also to fans of high fantasy books like The Mortal Instruments.



I really enjoyed The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith. It was pretty much your average romance novel plot.
When Hadley missed her flight to England for her Dad's wedding to a woman she's never even met, she believes her luck has pretty much disappears. But a lot can happen in a matter of 24 hours, so Hadley discovers, especially when you have an 8 hour flight sitting next to an attractive boy...
Soon, Hadley discovers that her time in London may not be as dreadful as it had initially sounded and she might even begin to enjoy it...

While I didn't think this book was anything too incredible, I did think that it was a really nice, feel-good romance. It was quite short and maybe a little predictable at times, but was really fun to read and I really did enjoy it. I would recommend The Statistical Probability to fans of romances who want a happy book to read!


That's all for this month, but I should be back with more posts and reviews soon!

Bye bye!

Charlotte xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment