Monday 26 October 2015

Clockwork Princess - DISCOVERY!!!

Hello everybody!

This isn't going to be a normal review post today, so if you've come here expecting a review for Clockwork Princess or any of the other Infernal Devices books, sorry, you're not in luck.
But, for me at least, this post is just as exciting!

Last week I finished reading Clockwork Princess for the second time, and I noticed something that I haven't seen people talking about before so I thought I would share it with you guys...

I would also like to point out that this post is ONLY for people who HAVE read the books!!! This discovery is centred around probably the biggest spoiler in the whole of the series, so I really, really, really don't want to ruin the books for people who haven't read or finished the series! If you're one of these people, please leave now before I ruin your existence!

Seriously guys, stop reading if you haven't read the trilogy!! Please!!

Okay, so people who have read this book will know that, supposedly, a certain character meets his end around half-way through the book, in Chapter 14, due to his drugs running out, and his parabatai feels his departure and we all believe that he is dead and it's all very sad... Am I right?
I can't be the only one who was sobbing uncontrollably at this point!

Then, later in the book, it is revealed that the character who we thought to be dead had actually turned into another 'creature', of sorts! - If you have read the books, you'll know what I mean!

However, on rereading the book, I noticed something that changed everything...

You know how each chapter begins with a poem or extract from other books, well, Chapter 14, Parabatai, the chapter in which Jem is supposedly dies, begins with this...


"Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep,
He hath awaken'd from the dream of life;
'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep
With phantoms an unprofitable strife,
And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife
Invulnerable nothings. We decay
Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief 
Convulse us and consume us day by day,
 And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay."


Can you see it yet? It literally says 'he is not dead'!! Cassandra Clare is blankly telling us that Jem is still alive and is sort of turning into another being!

I feel like this was such good planning on the author and editor's part and I also feel like it was a sort of test for us readers, to see if we actually read the extracts authors began chapters with! On looking at this, I actually feel pretty stupid for not seeing this before!
Honestly though, did anybody see this and take it in before reading about Jem? I can't be the only person who missed it the first time! I don't usually read the openings chapters to be honest; usually because I'm too excited to find out what's going to happen in the actual story! But I still cannot believe I missed this, with it being such an important part of the whole story!

The first time I read Clockwork Princess, I never properly believed that Jem would be dead since I managed to flip to the wrong page when my bookmark fell out, and I caught a glimpse of him being in a scene (nope, I have never lived this down!) but I would have never imagined it to turn out the perfect way it did!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who missed this huge give-away in the story!? I'd love to hear your Clockwork Princess stories down below!


That's all for this post but I hope this has been interesting for you guys, and I for one will definitely be reading the opening extracts on a chapter before I read the chapter!


Bye for now!



Charlotte xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment